Through Their Eyes
Safe Environments For Children & Young People Course
“Through Their Eyes” training has been developed by the Department of Human Services to assist organisations who provide services to children and young people, enabling their staff and volunteers to recognise, report and respond to children or young people who may be at risk of harm and build their capacity to provide safe environments within the organisation.
The ability to recognise signs of when children or young people are at risk of harm is essential, and a skill that organisations should consider requiring their staff and volunteers to acquire.
The “Through Their Eyes” course provides students with the information needed to identify and report suspected child abuse that they may observe within an organisations work / volunteer role or as a concerned community member, and meets the requirements of the South Australian Children’s Protections Act 1993.
Accustom’s highly qualified Trainer Michael is accredited and deliver the Child Safe Environments Course on behalf of the Department of Human Services.
Do you also require the RAN bridging course? Check out this link to see if you are eligible to complete this training:
The Through Their eyes training course covers topics including:
- Child Protection in context, values and attitudes
- Legislative obligations when working with children (including screening obligations)
- Risk and harm – abuse related trauma
- Abuse related trauma, sexual abuse, online grooming
- Responding to disclosures
- Child safe environments
- Reporting suspicion of risk and harm
At the end of this training you will be able to:
- Identify situations or behaviours of concern that warrant reporting to the Department for Child Protection
- Demonstrate awareness of the Children and Young People (Safety) Act 2017 including the responsibilities of individuals, mandated notifiers and
organisations who provide a service to children and young people
- Understand trauma related behaviours and indicators
- Consider appropriate ways to respond to disclosures of abuse
- Understand the process of reporting to the Child Abuse Report Line (CARL) and the elements of an effective notification
Safe environments training requires participants to explore types of risk of harm to children and young people, including domestic violence, sexual and physical abuse. If you are concerned about attending this program, please speak to the facilitator prior to attending the course to discuss options.
Please check out these online links to see if this course is suitable for you:
There is no age restriction to participate in the course however they need to be mature and aware the course content involves discussion/videos of abuse & neglect of children.